Wednesday 12 December 2012

Technicalities

Today I was following a woman out of the office.  Not on purpose, I hasten to add, we just happened to be going in the same direction.
She stopped in front of a closed door and stared at it blankly.  After a moment she began to look around.
I realised then that she had been expecting the door to open automatically.  Finding that it was not an automatic door, she began looking for the button which would electronically open it.

Now, ok, I admit that the majority of doors in the building are security doors.  You need your work pass to get through them, or you need to press a green button.  And ok, this particular door is usually left open but has now been closed because the receptionists were freezing to their seats.

Still, it doesn't take a genius to see the door handle.

In the end she found the accessible button and the door opened automatically for her.  By which point I'd caught up with her but I didn't have the heart to point out that all she'd had to do was pull.

This made me wonder about our reliance on technology.  On our smartphones, computers, laptops, televisions, tablets, e-readers... (yes I am hugging my laptop, kindle and television as I type this, not to mention our new WiiU).
I won't go into the headache that it my work computer at the moment, the three months of chasing our IT department to fix it and the last week in which IT have fixed it, broken it and then done a half arsed job re-fixing it and made me wish I'd never bothered.

Of course technology can be very useful.  Social networking means we can stay in touch with friends and family who live far away (and spy on those we don't want to talk to).  It also means we can market ourselves which is good for business owners and indie authors.

Laptops and computers have made writing a much more pleasureable experience.  My mind has developed to encompass my laptop.  I can no longer write using pen and paper, my mind just works too fast and the pen cannot keep up.  Whereas give me a keyboard and my fingers will fly.

Television, DVDs and our new beloved WiiU are also fairly necessary...well, we all need some downtime, don't we?  It's just about keeping a perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment